Dersingham Bog, is now one of the largest remaining areas of lowland heath land left in Britain. From the car park just above the old Wolferton station the footpath is signposted “Cliff walk” first stop is a surprising view point from on top of the cliff, once the seashore but now with views towards the distant Wash. The mix of mire, heath and woodland provides ideal conditions for a wide variety of plants, birds and animals, including nightjar and woodlark
St Peter’s is a large church for a small village. The present walls were built in the early 14th century, using carstone dug from a nearby quarry. The tower is typical of that period and the porch is particularly fine for such an early date. A fire damaged the interior in 1486 and the roof was replaced. The stone coffins just inside the entrance are typical of the Early English period and survive from an earlier building on the site. For safety reasons the font cover has been removed and placed on a nearby table. The cover was given by the Parishioners to mark the Golden Jubilee year of Queen Victoria’s reign. There is a large , beautiful triptych on a sturdy table in the north aisle chapel. It depicts the adoration of the Virgin by the Magi, flanked by the four Evangelists.
The Scarecrow Festival at Wolferton was started in 2001 as a way of helping create a closer community spirit in the village. It was held for three days over the August bank holiday weekend. It has been held that same weekend every other year since, but whether to hold it or not is subject to the outcome of a village ballot in January. Because the village is on a closed road, going nowhere, it lends itself to such an event and the road is closed so that people can enjoy a traffic-free environment (an easy access free bus follows the trail route for those not able or wanting to walk).
It has grown in the past decade to become one of West Norfolk’s largest free to enter events, with about 18,000 people coming to see the 150 or so highly original scarecrows made and displayed by village residents. At the past two events, of the sums raised, some £25,000 each time was donated to local good causes.
Wolferton Railway Station is on the King's Lynn to Hunstanton line which opened in 1862 to serve the village of Wolferton. The station was also well-known as the nearest station to Sandringham House and Royal trains brought the Royal Family to and from their estate until its closure in 1969. After spending some time as a museum, the station is now preserved in private hands. The signal box and part of the station are Grade II listed buildings.
The village of Wolferton celebrated and commemorated the Queen’s 60 year reign with a “Big Jubilee Lunch” on Sunday, 3rd June. In excess of 100 people attended a happy and successful celebratory village event!
Rhododendrums around Wolferton Village